It’s been months since I posted here, the longest gap since I started my blog. I have continued working on the rabbit hutch as time allowed, but after looking back at some of my earlier posts, realized that I have been on this project for over six months now. Yikes! I have continued to photograph the build as I progressed, but I haven’t had time until recently to edit photos or try to put them into a blog post format. I now have about five posts in the pipeline, so hopefully you should see more from me soon.
I doubt that any of you can remember what I had already done (I had to go look at my earlier posts myself), so I will add links for you to re-acquaint yourselves if you so wish.
- The Rabbit Hutch – Part 1 (Front frames and doors)
- The Rabbit Hutch – Part 2 (Sidewalls)
- The Rabbit Hutch – Part 3 (Carcase assembly)
The last post ended with the main carcase of the rabbit hutch glued up into a single unit. It’s nice to see the plan coming together. The hutch is divided into an upper and a lower section. Both of these sections will have a wire floor, and the wire will need to be supported by a wooden frame. So, the two floor frames will be the next part of my build.
Generally, I’ve stop taking photographs of me milling stock. It’s the same in every post so I’ll just skip to the end result. I wanted frames that are both light and strong, and Douglas Fir will be just fine for that.
I could have just assembled these with pocket hole screws, but why not practice good furniture building skills while making this project? Bring on the dovetails.
The top frame needs to have an open section for a ramp to connect the two levels of the hutch. The bottom frame is a simpler design, so I’ll start with that one.
With all four corners fitted, I had to decide where to place the cross rails.
After being left for a day to dry, I flushed all the joints.
Now for that upper frame. This one will be a little bit trickier.
Cutting the pins proved to be a bit of a challenge. They are on the end of pieces that are five feet long. There’s no easy way to do this without having a 60″ hight on the workbench top.
The layout of the upper frame was different and I ended up needing three cross rails instead of two. I chose my design and then cut all the mortise and tenons.
It is much easier to paint all of these sub-assemblies now rather than at the end. Also, this allows me to paint surfaces that will be covered or inaccessible later. I want all wooden surfaces of this project to be painted, with no bare wood exposed anywhere. I did not use a timber known for rot resistance as it was really expensive. Several coats of good paint should add some rot resistance and longevity to the project.
The frames will screw into the main carcase of the hutch from inside. I added some countersunk pilot holes before adding the wire to make the job a little easier later.
In the next post, I’ll install the two floor frames and do some more work on the hutch carcase.
– Jonathan White
Heh, glad to see you are back 🙂
Yes, as we both know, life gets in the way of our blogging at time… Such is life 🙂
This rabbit hutch is gonna turn out as swanky as the chick’s coop.. 🙂
Bob, with Rudy napping nearby
It’s good to hear from you, and its good to be back posting here. I hope you are well.
All the best,
It’s great to hear from you again. Nice looking joinery — every rabbit should have such a quality home.
Thanks. Hopefully the rabbits won’t be too picky about any small gaps in the joinery.
All the best,
Looking nice, although the guinea pig hutch I made had some major differences it is surprising that some of the similar construction problems have been encountered on yours as well. Some of the longer lengths can be awkward. Although a pain to work due to the timber I was fortunate in having ample recycled mixed tropical hardwood to use that has good durability. Made easier with a natural oil finish used for decks etc. Slop it on and wipe off the excess! Correction, carefully load up your brush excessively , apply to saturation point and buff off excess making sure used cloths do not self ignite. I would add, ‘Hopefully rabbits do not eat joinery’ Keep on plugging away, some of these projects just like taking their time, it’s out of our hands.
These things sure can take a long time. I’ve been getting a little more shop time this past week and hopefully I’ll have this project wrapped up soon. When I’ll manage to get the blog posts done is another issue.
I hope you are well, it’s good to hear from you.
All the best,