This is the final post of my rabbit hutch project. With the project fully built, I needed to find a spot on our property to place the hutch and prepare the ground.
You can see the earlier posts in this series here:
- The Rabbit Hutch – Part 1 (Front frames and doors)
- The Rabbit Hutch – Part 2 (Sidewalls)
- The Rabbit Hutch – Part 3 (Carcase assembly)
- The Rabbit Hutch – Part 4 (Floor frames)
- The Rabbit Hutch – Part 5 (General Assembly)
- The Rabbit Hutch – Part 6 (Poop Drawers)
- The Rabbit Hutch – Part 7 (The Roof)
- The Rabbit Hutch – Part 8 (Insulated Box)
I picked out a spot that was close to the house and well positioned. There was a small rock wall that I had built there some years ago that would have to be removed and reinstalled.
Time to go to work with the pick axe and rake. Once the ground was more-or-less level, I tamped it down.
The one setback to the site I selected, was that it was on a slight slope. Since the hutch has drawers that pull out forwards, this means that the hutch needed to be lifted up enough to clear the rock wall and the slightly sloping ground.
Not what you might think of as “checking for wind” on a woodworking blog.
The hutch is really heavy thanks to me and my every expanding projects… Why can’t I ever build small stuff? You may remember waaaay back when I made the carcass sides, I used long galvanized lag bolts to serve as the feet of the hutch. These can be screwed in or out to adjust the level, but their main purpose it to keep the wood away from the ground and hopefully prevent rot. They are screwed into the end grain of the legs and I was careful not to stress them laterally as I didn’t want to split out the bottom of the legs.
My neighbor gave me a hand lifting the hutch up onto the paving slab platform. We then lifted the roof (which is nearly as heavy as the hutch) and placed it on top.
Once it was in place, I rebuilt the rock wall using all the rocks I removed earlier.
So, with everything done, here’s a bunch of final photos:
Thanks for reading and bearing with me. I finished this project in April and it has taken me until now (December) to get these remaining posts written.
I hope to have some other posts in the near future, we’ll see.
– Jonathan White