The rabbit hutch project is finally looking like a rabbit hutch. I got a lot done in the last post, but now I need to make the two poop drawers that will sit beneath the wire mesh floors.
You can see the earlier posts in this series here:
- The Rabbit Hutch – Part 1 (Front frames and doors)
- The Rabbit Hutch – Part 2 (Sidewalls)
- The Rabbit Hutch – Part 3 (Carcase assembly)
- The Rabbit Hutch – Part 4 (Floor frames)
- The Rabbit Hutch – Part 5 (General Assembly)
In the last post, I painted the hutch, installed the floor frames, fitted and installed the back panels, installed the doors, and made a piece to fill the gap at the top of the front. Wow, that’s a lot for one post. Time to make the poop drawers. Again, I’m skipping photos of me milling wood.
I found that there was a slight inward bow in the long sides of the draw frame. I cut a piece of scrap to temporarily keep these pushed out straight while I nailed the bottom on.
For the bottom I decided to use a ¼ plywood that is faced one side with paper. I think that it is designed to be used as an underlayment for tile. To attach the bottom, I used Titebond III and nails.
With the bottom drawer made, I gave the outside a couple of coats of paint. Not the inside, that’s getting different treatment.
So that the drawer doesn’t slide directly on its plywood bottom, I added an oak runner or wear strip to the bottom edges.
The bottom drawer was fairly simple. The upper drawer is a little more complicated as it needs to have a notch cut out of the back to account for the ramp that links the upper and lower levels of the hutch.
I’ll skip all the photos of the dovetailing this time as it is exactly the same as the first drawer. In the bellow (after) photo, you can see the joints all finished. This one took a little longer because of the notch. As you can see, it has eight dovetail joints instead of four.
I did the same flush-cut and round-over with the trim router before painting.
My next-door neighbor had some left over countertop laminate that he gave me. This will make a great waterproof liner for the drawers.
After the glue had cured, I trimmed the edges flush with the laminate trim router and a block plane.
I bought these drawer pulls at a clearance sale at the Lee Valley store when I took a trip to Kelowna, BC last year. I knew they would come in handy at some point.
Well, that’s the drawers done. Now this thing needs a roof. More on that in the next post.
– Jonathan White