The draw bore pegs are in the breadboard ends and the dovetail sides are ready to glue on. I often find glue-ups a little stressful, so I tried to assemble everything that I would need before I began. The weather has been a little warm, and I was concerned about the open time that I would have before the glue started to dry.
So far, so good. I started applying the glue and I was moving like lightning. I coated the edge of the bench, the sapele board, the dovetails, and the sockets. I put the tails into the sockets and proceeded to close the joint by driving the tails in with a mallet.
And then, disaster struck…
I can’t say that I was too surprised. As soon as I had cut the pins/sockets on the breadboard ends, I saw the flaw in my design. What I should have done was to make the tongue on the bench end about 3 inches from each side. I could have then left more sapele behind the pins on the breadboard ends.
At this point, with the glue tacking up, I was starting to panic about being able to get the joints fully closed in time. I managed to do it and got all of the clamps in place.
The center pin on the other end also broke off. Damn, damn, damn.
I have to give some thought to how I will fix this. Well, I suppose hide this would be a better term, since there’s no fixing this one.
The other side went a little better. I’ll post more on that soon.